It is said that a man is always haunted by his past [most women are a bunch of lucky bitches, sometimes with short term memory loss]. Similar is the case with Twitter. When you’re a newbie to the game, you inadvertently tweet some shit which later amounts to a palpable skeleton in your closet. A rather significant number of cunty tweets are dangerous to your reputation [reputation -> lul]. Also comes with this the problem of your identity: in all probability, it’s possible that a tweet containing media/links can point to your real identity.
Pro tip: Use Twitter’s advanced search for this purpose. Enter these search queries for required results and take care to observe where “-” has and has not been used.
- from:@UserName filter:links
- This returns all your tweets containing links (any bloglink/weblink) and tweets containing images (Twitter converts pictures to links, e.g. media.twitter.com/media)
- from:@UserName -filter:mentions
- This returns all your
mostly originaltweets (including media tweets, but excluding retweets and mentions)
- This returns all your
- from:@UserName -filter:retweets
- This returns your entire timeline: all tweets except retweets (replies will also be returned)
These searches are very effective (can confirm) for people with a individually-deletable number of tweets. Like, 50.
What when you’ve to reset to your whole timeline proper? I recently cleared my account of all the shit tweets I’ve done. A simple software by this guy, it turns out, is sufficient. A procedure is provided on the author’s site, but I’ll try and simplify it. Here’s how you go about deleting your tweets in bulk:
- Have a Twitter account lel
- Request your archive, and download it [note the path]
- Download this. The portable version works very well.
- When prompted, login and get a PIN access code (kind of an OTP)
- Locate your index file (also when prompted) and click on it to point the software to it.
- A huge timeline in reverse chronological order with all your tweets (including retweets and replies) will appear, categorized by month.
- If you have a fuckton of useless tweets (including retweets and replies) to delete, select all subheadings – a month is a subheading – and deselect the ones you want to keep.
- Keep in mind that your tweets will be visible in your archive
- Click delete and watch a full chunk of your virtual life melt away
- Get a life
Thanks for reading. Cunt.